Can you use WhatsApp on your Chromebook? Absolutely Yes! You can send text messages and even make video calls with WhatsApp Messenger on your Chromebook. That is made possible with the recent development of Chromebooks, which enable you to run Android apps via the developer channel release. In this post, we will show you two ways you can have WhatsApp running on your Chromebook.
Installing WhatsApp on a Chromebook
You can install Whatapp using one of the following two methods. If your Chromebook is a recent model, it should probably have access to the Google PlayStore. In such a case, we recommend Method 1. If your Chromebook has no PlayStore app, Method 2 is the way to go.
Method 1: Download and Install WhatsApp via play store
It is the most comfortable and most efficient method. Unfortunately, it’s only available for the latest Chromebooks that come with the Google Play Store application installed. You should see the Google play store application on the taskbar at the bottom. Alternatively, you can also search for it among the installed applications.
If you have the Play store installed, then follow the steps below.
1. Launch the Google Play Store application and search for WhatsApp.
2. Click the “Install” button and wait for WhatsApp to download. You should see the “Open” button once the installation process completes.
3. You will see WhatsApp’s Terms and Conditions page. Click on “Agree and Continue.”
4. You will see a prompt asking you to choose your country and enter your phone number for verification. Click “Next” when done.
It’s important to note that the phone number should be active since you will receive there a verification code.
5. You will see a window to enter the 6-digit verification code that will be sent to your phone number.
6. You will see a prompt to restore the backup from Google drive. If you had earlier backed your WhatsApp data, click the “Continue” button to enter your email. Otherwise, click “Not Now.”
7. You will see a window where you will set up your profile details. Click “Next” when done.
That’s it! You should see WhatsApp’s main window. You can now start calling and texting friends on your Chromebook via WhatsApp.
This method works for most latest Chromebooks that come with Google play store app and provides support for Android applications.
Method 2: Install WhatsApp using APK file
Alternatively, if the Play Store method doesn’t work for you, you can install WhatsApp Messenger using the APK file. Your Chromebook should have support for the new developer channel release to run android applications. However, there is a catch. To install an Android app using the APK file in Chromebooks, we need to switch to developer mode.
Enable Developer/Recovery Mode on your Chromebook
It’s important to note that this process will Powerwash your Chromebook, removing any accounts and local data. Therefore, ensure you back up any local data that you don’t want to lose.
- Turn off your Chromebook.
- Boot your Chromebook into recovery mode by holding the Esc and Refresh Key while pressing the power button.
- You will see a prompt asking you to insert a recovery media. Press the combination Ctrl + D.
- Wait for a couple of minutes, and your Chromebook will boot into recovery mode.
You can read our complete guide on how to switch to developer mode here.
Download Whatsapp APK file
With developer mode enabled on your Chromebook, we can now download the APK file on the WhatsApp official page. Alternatively, you can download the APK file on your android phone and transfer it to your Chromebook via USB cable, Gmail, etc.
Install Whatsapp APK
Please navigate to the directory you have put the APK file and Right-click on it. Select the option “package installer” to get started with the installation.
You will see a warning on your screen since APK files can sometimes contain malware. Click “Continue.”
On the next window, click “install” to begin the installation process.
Click “Done” when the installation completes. You can now launch WhatsApp Messenger by searching for it on the launcher.
Well, that’s it. Those are two methods you can have WhatsApp installed and running on your Chromebook. You can send text messages, media files, and even make video calls with ease. It’s, in fact, surprising to see how smoothly WhatsApp runs on a Chromebook. You can also get push notifications when the App is not open. Please, let us know any issues or problems you might encounter.